Valentino - “The Sheik of Chic”
Here are some fun facts about Valentino, that you probably didn't know!
- Valentino adores pugs, so much so that he once said “I don’t care about the collection, my dogs are more important!”. His dogs have always had names starting with M - Maggie, Milton,Maude, Monty, Margot and Molly!
- From a young age, Valentino’s sister used to sneak him into the cinema with her, even if he was underage, and this was where his obsession with the silver screen started. Movie stars in beautiful gowns were his initial inspiration and influenced much of his career. (Little did he know that he would eventually dress Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor!)
- Valentino claims he learnt all he knows under the skilful Jean Dessés and Guy Laroche for Balmain and Christian Dior before opening his own fashion house.
- Valentino loves to stay up late and therefore sleep in late too, but not in the way that you think… he likes to make phone calls, read and watch television until the early hours.
- Valentino’s famous red is not just a colour to him, it is like his ‘logo’. His love for red started when he went to see the Opera in Barcelona, which saw red everywhere in the costumes, curtains and flower arrangements too.
- Valentino has rather a large collection of antique china, he is particularly interested in 1930’s china.
- During the boom of colour in the 1960’s, Valentino paved his own individual path with his daring ‘White Collection’. Women were dressed in white, cream, ivory and beige and it has become one of the most iconic shows of all time!
- A wonderful quote by Valentino: “Only wear clothes that make you feel alive”.
- Valentino is obsessed with table arrangement, you will never see a white tablecloth at his dinner parties! He likes to decorate his tables with the same sense of glamour that adorn his clothes with flowers, chocolates and found objects in shades of pink, yellow, green and blue.
- When Valentino announced his retirement in 2007, his last haute couture show was in 2008 and the legendary stars, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer and Eva Herzigova all walked in his show.